Peer Worker or Mental Health Worker Vacancy
Flourish Australia has an exciting opportunity for a Peer Worker or Mental Health Worker to join our team at Caboolture!
The position available is closed-term full-time ending 30 June 2022 with the successful candidate working a rotating roster including weekends, evening and night shifts. The position is classified at Level 3 on the Flourish Australia Enterprise Agreement (2018).
About the Opportunity
As a Mental Health Worker or Peer Worker, you will work in the community to support people accessing our services who have a lived experience of mental health issues to achieve their hopes and dreams. You will play an important part in assisting people to maintain wellness and realise their goals. On a day to day basis you will:
- Listen to and create opportunities and activities that meet the interests and goals of people.
- Encourage shared learning experiences, and support skill development at every opportunity through self-directed learning, information and education.
- Ensure that individual support is provided to a person that accesses Flourish Australia services that meet their recovery journey goals and is strengths based and led by the person wherever possible.
- Be ‘hands on’ and involved in direct service delivery.
The difference between the two roles is a Peer Worker is required to use their lived experience of a mental health issue and personal recovery openly, appropriately and effectively to build professional relationships with the people they support that also experience a mental health issue.
Peer Workers will also use their lived experience to inform and contribute to staff learning, service understanding, and delivering person-led, strengths focused, recovery based language, documentation, training and actions. As a Peer Worker, you will also use your lived experience to work as an advocate on an individual basis and systemically (as required).
It is not a requirement for Mental Health Workers to use their lived experience of a mental health issue in their everyday work.
For more information about what it means to be a Peer Worker with Flourish Australia, please review the Position Description and the Peer Worker information statement “What You Should Consider Before Becoming A Peer Worker”.
For more information on the Mental Health Worker role, please read the Position Description.
Please note - Successful candidates must maintain a Class C drivers license and proof of comprehensive insurance must be provided when required. You may be directed to use your private motor vehicle in the course of performing your duties when an organisational pool motor vehicle is unavailable. You will receive the Travelling Transport and Fares Allowance when using your private vehicle for work related purposes.
Who we are
Flourish Australia is one of Australia’s most experienced community mental health organisations. For over 60 years, we have provided individual support to people with a lived experience of a mental health issue for them to live purposeful lives.
Our vision is to create communities where everyone’s mental health and wellbeing flourishes. Our purpose is to support people to flourish, believe in their futures, and become contributing members of the community.
Our positions are open to all suitably qualified applicants. We have a strong commitment to the participation of people with lived experience of mental health issues in our workforce. We value diversity and encourage applications from suitably qualified people from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island backgrounds, people from CALD and LGBTI communities and mature age candidates.
- Entry level for graduates with a relevant degree in behavioural sciences or human services; or
- A relevant associate diploma or certificate qualification with relevant experience; or
- At least 1-years relevant experience in mental health attained through previous appointments
- A current Australian drivers licence.
For further information, please contact Trevor Matthews, Manager. E: email@example.com (please do not email applications)
Appointments will be subject to satisfactory Australian residency/visa, National Criminal Record checks, and Working With Children Check.
- Attractive hourly rates; and
- Tax-Free Salary Packaging available up to $15,900; and
- Family-friendly and flexible working conditions; and
- Career development opportunities.
We are actively observing COVID safe work practices and have implemented further flexible working arrangements. We encourage you to get in touch with the listed contact if you have any questions or concerns.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete all the questions asked. You will then be required to attach a copy of your resume on the following page, we encourage you to have your resume up-to-date and available before you commence the application.